The Grow Op – an urban gardening experiment


Holding Patterns
August 19, 2009, 2:21 pm
Filed under: Flowers, Fruit, pests, Plants, Vegetables

The garden has not appreciably degenerated in the last few weeks, but I am not really seeing any improvement. I think the chamomile is dead, so i will probably try to resprout some and start again. I am pretty good at the first part of the gardening process, so I am ok with this. I managed to beat back the aphid infestation enough to get the peppers to bounce back. this required some pruning, and a lot of close combat soapy water spraying. I was basically using the force of the spray bottle to blast the little bastards off. They are coming back a little, but i have been vigilant, so the plants seem to have some healthy new growth. I doubt i will get any peppers this year. The main problem may have been a lack of pollination (only one of each plant) but i think i may try to cross pollinate these two plants and get some mildly hot red pepper combo. Or a horribly mutant pepper-creature that will terrorize the Lower Mainland. Either way – genetics! The eggplant fruit stopped getting bigger, so i used them in a delicious tomato ragu-type omelette filling. Hopefully i will get a few more before the growing season is over.



Concerning Aphids
August 11, 2009, 10:56 am
Filed under: pests | Tags:

Well I think I beat back the invasion a fair but. All told, they got to my hot pepper, red pepper, and eggplant (not seriously). In the end I sprayed the shit out of all three plants using a mild dish detergent solution, and it seemed to help, but not wipe them out. Part of the problem is i have no beetles, ladybugs, lacewings or wasps to devour the little bastards. so when i knock them off i am not sure what happens, but i know they dont get eaten, unfortunately. I also made sure i got the nozzle very close the the new growth spots and really blasted them, knocking many of the aphids off the plant and hopefully drowning them or poisoning them horribly.

I also had to prune some of the worst sites right off the plant and destroyed them. This seems to have stopped the worst of the problem, and some clear new growth has started on the two pepper plants.