The Grow Op – an urban gardening experiment

Concerning Aphids
August 11, 2009, 10:56 am
Filed under: pests | Tags:

Well I think I beat back the invasion a fair but. All told, they got to my hot pepper, red pepper, and eggplant (not seriously). In the end I sprayed the shit out of all three plants using a mild dish detergent solution, and it seemed to help, but not wipe them out. Part of the problem is i have no beetles, ladybugs, lacewings or wasps to devour the little bastards. so when i knock them off i am not sure what happens, but i know they dont get eaten, unfortunately. I also made sure i got the nozzle very close the the new growth spots and really blasted them, knocking many of the aphids off the plant and hopefully drowning them or poisoning them horribly.

I also had to prune some of the worst sites right off the plant and destroyed them. This seems to have stopped the worst of the problem, and some clear new growth has started on the two pepper plants.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: